How To Keep Your Pet Cool and Safe This Summer
Anyone who has lived in Missouri or Kansas in the summer knows that the heat and humidity can be brutal for humans. But it can be even harder on our animals, who aren't able to ask for what they need to keep cool in the heat.
Summer can be a great time to get outside and enjoy the outdoors, but pet owners also need to be aware how excessive heat can have an effect on their animals. Here are a few summer tips for keeping your pets safe during summertime:
How To Have A Safe Summer With Your Pet
1. Exercise your dog when it’s cool. Pet owners should take dogs for a walk during the cooler parts of the day. Early mornings or late at night are better times for giving your dog some moderate exercise.
2. Never leave your pet in a parked car. Please be one of the responsible pet owners and NEVER leave an animal in a hot parked car during the summer. Parked cars retain more heat in the summer, even when you park in the shade. Moreover, pets can get heat exhaustion or dehydrated if left in a hot car for too long.
3. Keep your pet hydrated. Dogs and cats can’t sweat. If your pet is panting heavily, it may be dehydrated. Other signs of dehydration include bloodshot eyes or lethargic behavior. Pet owners can make sure that plenty of cool water is readily available for their animals.
4. Create cool areas for your pet. If your house has air-conditioning, this is the best way to keep your home comfortable during the heat of the day. For pet owners that don’t have air-conditioning, you’ll need to be a little more creative. Try setting up a kiddie pool with water in a shady spot or keep a fan running near your pet’s favorite sleeping area. You can also allow your dogs to run through the sprinklers to cool off.
5. Cool pets from the bottom up. Another great idea for pet owners to keep their animals cool is to spray pets on their paws and stomach. Even though cats may not initially enjoy this procedure, it can help keep them cool. On the other hand, dogs will love the refreshing feeling of cool water.
Beat The Summer Heat With Your Pet
Petland Overland Park wants you to enjoy this summer and many summers to come with your pet. To learn more about keeping your pet cool and comfortable this summer with Petland Overland Park, call us today at (913) 498-9814.