If you're considering getting a new puppy, the Pet Counselors at Petland Overland Park want to make sure you're fully prepared to take care of this crazy, furry, wonderful bundle of love for his or her entire life. Today, we'll discuss the financial responsibilities required in preparing for a new dog.
While it's been known to happen and can be very tempting to those of us that are impulsive (puppy faces just can't be resisted!), we strongly, strongly recommend you don't just pick out a puppy and take it home on a whim. When preparing for a new dog, there are a few things that you should do before you even go to look at pups.
We encourage you to consult friends, family, the internet or our Pet Counselors for financial information. Dogs are not free and the costs don't end after you bring one home. Aside from the initial cost, expenses can include:
- registering your dog
- ensuring it has all proper licensing (A license in Overland Park costs $10 for a spayed/neutered pet and $20 for a pet that is not spayed or neutered.)
- staying up-to-date on vaccinations (With our Puppy Package, your little furball will be current on all vaccinations when they leave the store.)
- regular check-ups
- a collar and leash
- beds, food dishes, etc.
- regular grooming
- occasional or regular pet sitters or doggy daycare
- training (Lifetime behavioral training is included in our Puppy Package.)
- household cleaners and puppy pads (Puppies aren't the neatest of creatures and accidents happen!)
Visit Petland Overland Park
We encourage you to stay tuned for new posts in this series, all about preparing for a new dog. If you have any questions about the financial responsibilities of being a puppy parents, we welcome you to stop by Petland Overland Park or to call one of our Pet Counselors today at (913) 498-9814!