- Hamsters - Hamsters make great low-maintenance pets for families that want a little less responsibility than what comes with a cat or dog. These little furry creatures are cute, friendly and easy to care for when you have the right supplies. As long as you have an adequately-sized hamster enclosure, the right amount of food and water, and time to spend a little daily interaction with these little guys, they should be happy. Typically hamsters can tolerate handling well, as long as handled with care and gentleness, making them ideal for busy families.
- Parakeets - Parakeets are beautiful little birds that have quite the personality. They love to be social and can even be quite affectionate and learn to recognize their family's voices. These colorful creatures do well with children when handled properly, and can be trained to perch on your finger.
- Rabbits - Rabbits do best in families with older children who understand how to treat them delicately, as these little fur balls can be easily frightened by loud children and rough handling. However, in the right home they can be wonderful and cuddly pets. It is important to note that if you do add a rabbit to your home, rabbit-proofing is a necessity. Rabbits tend to be very active and will chew up anything they can, so be sure to keep an eye on them when they are let out of their enclosure!
- Geckos - There are many varieties of geckos that can make great pets for families. For example, the leopard gecko is a popular choice due to its low amount of maintenance. These little lizards require warm housing with room to roam, crickets to eat, and plenty of water to drink. Other than that, they require little attention, making them great for a starter pet for kids. As will all small animals, make sure your kids understand how to handle these little guys with care.
- Guinea Pigs - Guinea pigs are affectionate and gentle, making them a popular alternative pet choice. These furry little friends do require time out of their enclosures each day to roam around and interact with the family. However, keep them away from other pets like dogs, cats, and ferrets, as they can be easy prey to animals higher up on the food chain. They love to cuddle and be a part of the family, but they can be easily frightened by small children who aren't quite mature enough to handle them.
Stop by Petland Overland Park today to see our selection of birds, reptiles, rabbits, and other wonderful little pets for sale, or call us at (913) 498-9814 to learn more about our pets and services.